My spin on Italian Wedding soup in which the meatballs are made out of Italian sausage, the rice is replaced with pearl couscous, and the spinach is often substituted with kale.
- 1 lb Italian Sausage
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup Bread Crumbs
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 cloves of peeled Garlic
- 4 cups Broth (Beef or Chicken, whichever you prefer)
- 4 cups Water
- Parmesan Cheese Rind
- 1/2 cup Pearl Couscous
- 1 lb of chopped Kale (or Spinach)
- Salt and Pepper
- grated Parmesan for serving
- Remove sausages from casings if they come cased.
- Place a stew pot on the stove top to heat.
- Add the eggs and the bread crumbs to the sausage.
- Use your hands to mush them together and begin to form small meat balls of about 3/4′ in diameter.
- Place the meatballs in the heated pot to brown.
- Remove the meatballs from the pot.
- Drain the grease from the pot, and place the pot back on the stove.
- Add the olive oil to the bottom of the pot.
- Use a garlic press to press the garlic, and drop the pressed garlic into the pot. Make sure that the garlic does not burn.
- Add the broth to the garlic, followed by the water.
- Add the hunks of parmesan rind to the pot to help flavor the broth.
- Bring the broth to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to a simmer, and gently drop the meatballs back in.
- Allow the soup to continue cooking for another 10 minutes.
- Add the couscous and kale (spinach).
- Season the soup with salt and pepper.
- Cook the soup for another 5 minutes or until the couscous, kale, and meatballs are fully cooked.
- Serve and garnish soup with grated parmesan.